Who carries a 5" 1911 and what holster do you use?

billyjoeraybob

I will most likely be carrying my Government model 1911 when my CWP comes in. I have a Glock 30S on order, but who knows when that will show up. In the meantime, my only choice is my 1911. I am looking for advice on the best way to carry a gun of this size.

fordnut

When I carry one of my 5" 1911's I use a Galco "Miami Vice" shoulder harness. It is the most comfortable for me...but, I also have an old leather OWB that I use sometimes...it is a rough leather with abelt clip...

Steve

billyjoeraybob

Thanks Steve. I hadn't really considered a shoulder rig. I currently have an Old Faithful IWB that feels pretty good. I am just not sure about carrying in it for a full day. I love my 1911's but dang they sure are heavy!

ramsey88

I believe a member here makes kydex/leather hybrid IWB holsters, similar to the Crossbreed SuperTuck and Galco King Tuck. I have the Supertuck for my full size 1911 and it helps support the big 45 pretty well, IMO. Might be worth looking into.

bigfutz

ramsey88 said:
I believe a member here makes kydex/leather hybrid IWB holsters, similar to the Crossbreed SuperTuck and Galco King Tuck. I have the Supertuck for my full size 1911 and it helps support the big 45 pretty well, IMO. Might be worth looking into.
Alexap is his handle, if you feel like an IWB.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=103

jfeenin

When I carried my 1911 I carried it IWB in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. They are a bit pricey. After I got my Glock I carried that in an Old Faithfull IWB Kydex/Leather holster. It's a lot like the cross breed but you can get it as various levels of a kit. I got the one where basically I had to put in a few screws and it was still half the price of the cross breed. Since I have been in SC I haven't been able to carry but I took my CWP class yesterday so that will change soon. :) Here's some pics of the two if it matters.

Versa Max 2:

Glock 19 in Old Faithful IWB

This is a little opinion article I put together on some of the IWB holsters I had access too a few years back if you're interested: http://all-about-guns.com/index.php/art ... er-options

billyjoeraybob

Thanks jfeenin! Nice article. I currently have an Old Faithful IWB that feels pretty good. I have been carrying around the house in it, just to get used to it. I also have a Galco Tac Slide Belt Holster that I really like, but with all that stainless sticking out it would make concealing difficult without a jacket or extra shirt. With the Old Faithful riding at 4 o'clock I can conceal with just about any shirt tucked or not.

jfeenin

I have to admit it's the bang for the buck winner in that dept. I like mine and just ordered another for my Shield. I do love the Milt Sparks but It is a pricey option.

Tom

When I carry my 1911A1, which is not often, but when I do, I have a "ClipDraw" mounted on it, being a small person, a leather holster, which I have serval of, just add to the bulk.

billyjoeraybob

Thanks Guys. I think I am going to use my Old Faithful IWB. Tom I am curious as to how the clipdraw handles the weight of a 1911.

Sean MacTavish

When I carried my 1911 I carried it IWB in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. They are a bit pricey. After I got my Glock I carried that in an Old Faithfull IWB Kydex/Leather holster. It's a lot like the cross breed but you can get it as various levels of a kit. I got the one where basically I had to put in a few screws and it was still half the price of the cross breed. Since I have been in SC I haven't been able to carry but I took my CWP class yesterday so that will change soon. :) Here's some pics of the two if it matters.

Versa Max 2:

Glock 19 in Old Faithful IWB

This is a little opinion article I put together on some of the IWB holsters I had access too a few years back if you're interested: http://all-about-guns.com/index.php/art ... er-options