service life

Hamman

I got into an interesting conversation with a fellow shooter about the service life of different type of handguns (pistols & revolvers). It started over the polymer 380's and ran over into steel vs polymer, stainless vs carbon steel and so on. Main difference of opinion was over the poly/steel LCP, Diamondback and Keltec 380 pistols. I felt they would last at least 2 to 3 thousand rounds with no problems, he felt they are going downhill after a mere 1 thousand. Also chime in on other caliber/platform configurations.

Red Hat

Some Polymer firearms have a round life. Most, I thought, were around 6,000 rounds. Some have 1,000's of rounds through them and are still going bang. There's nothing to worry about unless the firearm in question doesn't have a lifetime warranty.

Frost

Administrator
A Glock is just getting broken in good with a thousand rounds.

I have a first edition Glock 17 that must have at least 7-8k througfh it. It still shoots, looks and functions like it did new. I have never done anything to it other than clean it when I had time, thats about every 4th or 5th visit to the range.

Frost

Administrator
Lafayette

You are going to wear it out cleaning it that often :lol:

gearheadpyro

They wear out??? :shock:

j/k

I've got well over 2500 through my Smith and Wesson M&P 40, and it's still going strong. No issues to be reported. Still accurate, still cycles perfectly, no heavy wear patterns.