Safety at the range

Bob Ouellette

My paranoia prohibits me from being completely unarmed at any point :lol:

That said, it's always holstered/not being handled when people are down range. Another big thing that happened while I was on the machine gun range at Ft Stewart a couple of weeks ago that is a big concern - accidental discharges. I don't know how it happened, but we all have to be careful.

lafayette gregory

I was the one who said sign the rules. yep- maybe I went a bit too far there. But, as Fordnut said- Everyone needs to know the rules. It is very difficult to help someone correct their unsafe behavior when they do not know they are behaving unsafe.

Stan in SC

I agree with Tigerstripe.Changing configuration?You are handling a weapon and this WILL NOT be acceptable if someone is down range.I don't care what you are doing or how safe it might be in your estimation or in actuality.It leads to all kinds of problems.

Stan in SC

Nagao

There are people I personally trust to do such a thing with me down range but I never know EVERYONE on a range. Even IF completely safe, gun handling when someone is down range is still really worrying and rude because the other person just doesn't know what is going on.

I don't think holstered sidearms are the same as guns laying on tables, pointed down range. I'm not saying holstered guns need to be emptied. More like condition 1. Guns on the bench should be Condition 4 when not in use. Chamber flags are great but not everyone carries them around and I don't think you could ever get 100% of the shooting population to. Best to have solid rules that apply whenever a gun is present that require no special diddles.

Also, I feel like this has become two conversations. One is about the Shootzenfest specifically. The other (my point of view) is general public range safety awareness.

Clicker

Nagao said:
Also, I feel like this has become two conversations. One is about the Shootzenfest specifically. The other (my point of view) is general public range safety awareness.
I agree.

Perhaps Pops & Frost would start another thread on the ranges rules for ShootzenFest, if they go beyond those posted by the USFS.

Regarding ShootzenFest - I don't have a problem keeping my mitts off the guns when cold but remember we're talking about a public range and not everyone there has to abide by our wishes.

Tigerstripe

clicker i just used you as an example because someone else did. may i still shoot the MP5K?

fordnut, yep greg fessed up before i got back online. i didnt say you wanted signatures.

just because i dont know, Philsons isnt closed just for us at shootzenfest is it? ive seen it posted closed when, i believe, some law enforcement will be qualifying.

Clicker

Tigerstripe said:
clicker - may i still shoot the MP5K?
I hope that one of my other buddies will drag theirs out so we can beat on it instead of mine. I have to supply the pack so I feel that they should supply the host - sounds fair huh?

I spend so much of my day playing gunsmith at these events I have reduced what I bring. I'm not complaining it's just the reality of it for me is there is no sense hauling 15 guns out to shoot only 3.

You and Andy coming down?