Rolled some .223 subsonic just to try it out

11B3XCIB

Before anyone who's thought about it TYPES it, please don't turn this into a "glorified .22lr" discussion. At 100 yards, a 55gr bullet at 1060fps hits with about 140ft-lbs of energy whereas a 60grain Aguilla SSS .22 subsonic (700fps velocity) is only about 65ft-lbs. No, .223 subsonics aren't largely practical, but 1) They are fun to experiment with and that's mostly what this was about and 2) you can still dump a varmint (or a street light) silently and swap back to full power ammo depending on your use.

I used Hodgdon's recipe for subsonic .223 which called for 3.1gr Titegroup and a 2.200 OAL. No, this load won't cycle an AR, but it's easy enough to rack one in...I've shot with enough bolt guns so not a big deal. I checked on a piece of paper 2-6" front of the muzzle to make sure the the rounds were stabilizing and safe to shoot through the suppressor. Four test rounds at varied distances from the muzzle looked good.

Attached the suppressor. For suppressed .223...it was SUPER QUIET. A few decibels louder than a .22 bolt gun with subsonic rounds but compared to full power loads, well...there is no comparison. I didn't get a chance to test them at 100 yards but I imagine they'll drop about 3" versus my normal zero at that range.

I also read a load that called for Trail Boss. I would like to try that because Trail Boss is very fluffy and will fill the case as much as a normal .223 load so it would probably be more consistent.

It's worth it to keep 30 or so of these loaded should the need for them arise :cool:

11B3XCIB

If you want to use Trailboss, use 4.0 grains (according to IMR), same OAL, 55gr bullet. It's VERY fluffy...a 9 ounce can of Trailboss is the same size as a 16oz can of Titegroup. I did read a few people said they had 4.0gr Trailboss breaking the sound barrier (it's winter time so you might have this issue). I'd try 3.6gr, 3.8gr, and 4.0gr test groups and see what works best, listening for signs of a squib load! Be safe!

11B3XCIB

Big Animal....did you load any? How'd they turn out for you? Mine were a little dirty but they worked.

Man, I keep thinking about having a 20 round mag of these for my SDM in Iraq. They would have been perfect for dropping a guard within 75 yards or a street light or something during out night patrols.