Open Carriers Rights Ignored In Phila, PA

mcdaniel

Member
I remember this fiasco.

I also remember a certain cop forum that had numerous members that said they were cops. They also stated if they saw anyone open carrying in Philly, they would make there lives a living hell or shoot them, regardless if it's legal or not. Hopefully some were just trolls, but I suspect some were actual officers. Search on opencarry.org and you will find the links to said forum. It's freaking crazy and will make your blood pressure rise.

This guy is always in the right place and right time for drama to happen. I feel he doesn't cause it, it's just attracted to him.
 

C_Carson

New Member
Prime example of why to ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS carry some type of recording device with you. Bonus points if it's one you can encrypt or password protect.
 

M16MANIAC

Member
Three states have past laws that make it illegal to video cops while on duty. Do you think they have something to hide????
CRAZY!
 

Midnight Raver

Active Member
M16MANIAC said:
Three states have past laws that make it illegal to video cops while on duty. Do you think they have something to hide????
CRAZY!
I can understand undercover police not being seen in this manner, but if uniformed officers don't conduct themselves accordingly then they are unfit to wear the badge. No big deal though if people that are ACTUALLY resisting or evading the police don't come out of it unscathed- it's their OWN damn fault. Filming that can benefit law enforcement...

I like watching COPS too. :twisted:
 
Filming can save or kill a career in a very quick manner when it comes to policing

I suspect the idea behind the laws against citizens filming is not to cover up things, but rather prevent a partial clip from being posted that doesnt show the entire scene and events taking place and then going viral and causing a huge causing a huge backlash against officers

There are many many many things officers do on a daily basis that could look like a terribly outrageous excessive force if taken out of context, or the video did not show a subject initially resist
 

jmt2566

New Member
tigerfan00 said:
Filming can save or kill a career in a very quick manner when it comes to policing

I suspect the idea behind the laws against citizens filming is not to cover up things, but rather prevent a partial clip from being posted that doesnt show the entire scene and events taking place and then going viral and causing a huge causing a huge backlash against officers

There are many many many things officers do on a daily basis that could look like a terribly outrageous excessive force if taken out of context, or the video did not show a subject initially resist
I understand what you are saying but the best way to address that is for the officers to also have documentation of the event, NOT to limit a citizen's ability to document an interaction with them.
I think that it should be allowed and that officers, judges, D.A.'s, DMV workers, and anyone else that wants to make a living providing a public service & drawing government pay/ benefits should just assume that they are being observed so they are not tempted to abuse the public trust.
 
jmt2566 said:
I understand what you are saying but the best way to address that is for the officers to also have documentation of the event, NOT to limit a citizen's ability to document an interaction with them.
I think that it should be allowed and that officers, judges, D.A.'s, DMV workers, and anyone else that wants to make a living providing a public service & drawing government pay/ benefits should just assume that they are being observed so they are not tempted to abuse the public trust.
I dont disagree

I'm not even agreeing with the fact that some states have those laws in place

I operate and act accordingly under the assumption that I am being video and audio recorded AT ALL TIMES
 

Pops

Administrator
It wold be interesting to see how the laws in those states are written.
In my experience with reading laws I've found that many of them have a specific purpose in mind and that the general public rarely gets to understand the full intent of any given law.
I've also seen some laws that make nosense whatso ever.
Politicians can propose all the laws they want to and those laws don't have to make any sense they just have to satisfy the constituency who asked for it. The more outlandish laws never see the light of day.

we have far too many laws in this country. We don't need so many laws, but the politicians need to be able to say they've done something

:shock:
 
Top