NEF pardner pump shotgun. Really Remington 870?

fordemti

I saw a new shotgun the other day that was only 150 bucks. It was an NEF pardner. Looking at it reminds me a lot of an 870. Been thinking of getting an sbs. This plus a Remington 14" barrel would make for a kick ass, cheap sbs. Anyone know anything about these or better yet, have one?

As an owner of a Remington 870 Wingmaster Short barrel Shotgun... your best bet is to cut the barrel that comes on it. Buying a 14" barrel is expensive, assuming you can even find a company that will sell you one.

As to the NEF Pardner being a copy of an 870... yo no se.

fordemti

Wal-mart sells 870's with the wood furniture for like $275. I just don't want to cut a vent rib barrel. What do you do about a new front sight? Drill and tap a new hole for the front bead? I'd really prefer ghost ring sights. Wilson sells GR doesn't he?

fordemti

WOW!!! That's pretty nice. You have a point. What length is your barrel? I think I want a 14". I just always thought they looked BA.

Frost

Unribbed barrels can be found for about $50 and are not a problem to cut and crown.
I have done several.
I use a tubing cutter for the cut.
Then a file and a battery drill with a stone for crowning.
I had the guys in a the pipe shop use a fancy saw to cut a vent rib barrel.
You will want a wooden dowel for the measuring.
I have cut none below 18" though.
There are non-gunsmith options for a front sight but are not as nice.
Want to see pics?

Frost

I have not forgotten I promised pictures.
I will try to remember to pick up some batteries today.
My camera is on of those antiques that uses replaceable batteries and my phone camera sucks for detail.

Frost

I got that one at Sportsmans Warehouse quite a while back.
The pictures were more about the re-crowning of the barrels than the sight or the picture would have been more focused on it.
It works well although I had to trim it a bit to make it work with the clamp on the extended mag tube.

fordemti

How exactly is recrowning done? Are you just beveling the exit of the barrel? How important is it to do that?