My Weekend Project

TheSwampFox

I have been kicking around the idea of putting some sort of camo pattern on my DPMS LR-308 for a while and this weekend I finally decided to do it. I like how it came out.

I used rust-oleum camo spray paint. 3 shades of brown and 3 shades of green. After applying a base layer using 2 of the browns and 1 of the greens I used a sponge to apply the remaining colors and to add some texture.

LuckyStrike

Nice work! Ought to blend in anywhere around these parts!

I've been researching some pic threads for a project, also--- so I have an amateur's question-- how did you keep the spray paint from clogging up the action, bipod pivots and lower parts? Did you completely disassemble? or, is it not a problem if you just spray lightly several times?
Also, did you degrease or any special base prep techniques?
Thanks!

TheSwampFox

LuckyStrike said:
how did you keep the spray paint from clogging up the action, bipod pivots and lower parts? Did you completely disassemble? or, is it not a problem if you just spray lightly several times?
Also, did you degrease or any special base prep techniques?
Thanks!
I did a partial disassemble. I removed the scope, riser, bipod, handguards. I separated the upper and lower and removed the BCG, charging handle, grip, buffer, buffer spring and safety. Then I used painters tape to cover anything I didn't want painted and stuffed paper towels in the upper to keep the chamber clean and cover the flash hider with tape to protect the bore.

I used break free to get all the grease off and let it dry. Then I applied a single layer of grey primer. After that dried I did a single coat for the base layer. I didnt want the paint getting too thick since I using 6 colors.

This is what it looked like last night when I finished my base layer.

TheSwampFox

Thanks guys. I was going for an A-TACS FG pattern but it didn't quite turn out that way. I do like how it ended up though. Now its time to take it out into the woods and loose it :D

Maybe if it dries out around here I'll take some photos of it in my bushes and see how well it blends in.