Marlin 30-30

jmt2566

I had a Marlin 336 that I loved and have regretted selling ever since my ex-wife convinced me to get rid of it. I have been thinking of replacing it but do not like the new furniture that comes on them now.

I have found one that is in decent condition based on a quick inspection (have not used a bore light yet). This one is a 336CS which means that it has the real hardwoods and a crossbolt safety. He was asking $350, I offered $250 - he came down to $300 which means it is going to be about $325 out the door. I am thinking that I can do better but do not really know.

So my question is - what is the value for a Marlin 336CS made in 1984 and in 80% to 85% condition? No scope. no scope mount, no sling or sling mounts. Does have iron sights.

Jeff

Midnight Raver

Had an older one a long time ago, best rifle I have ever fired yet. Always liked the older furniture, nice and dark compared to the newer ones I have seen since the mid 80s. Unlike the newer ones, it had a rounded cap instead of the straight, flat wooden end forward of the barrel band/sling swivel. Sure was a beauty though, my uncle nailed a nice Buck with it two years ago.

As for your potential purchase, if it is in good shape I would go for it.

jmt2566

Well, I worked out a deal that I liked on the Marlin 336 that I wanted. Got it for myself as a birthday present on Saturday. Also found that, upon further inspection, it is in way better than 85% condition! Here are a few pictures...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Frost

Administrator
That looks really nice.
Be sure to let us know how it shoots.

Pops

Administrator
goodness that is a pretty rifle.
The photos show the condition well.

Are you planning to hunt with it or just shoot it?

jmt2566

I have never been much of a hunter but I may have to try this one out next year. I have only put a few rounds through it so far. Shoots great! I can't wait to give it a more extended test. I will bring it to Shootzenfest for sure.

sdcromer

Very nice! I recently picked up a nice one locally that looks very similar. You got a decent price, but you got a rifle that is no longer made - a real Marlin, and not a Remlin!!