Deputies Investigate Shooting At CWP Class

http://www.wyff4.com/r/30491738/detail.html

It's a good thing SC has mandatory traing requirements before one is allowed to carry a gun. Otherwise, someone could get negligently shot...

According to deputies, around 4:30 p.m Saturday during a live fire portion of the class a student was being shown the proper way to hold her pistol, when the gun fired striking the student standing next to her in the firing in line.
It sounds like he was showing the student the wrong way to hold a pistol.

The class was being taught by an off-duty Spartanburg County Deputy, who is a certified to teach the classes by South Carolina Law Enforcement Division
:shock:
 

RyanEOD

Member
Because the shooting took place during a concealed weapons permit class certified by SLED, the Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office will forward the investigation results to SLED for review.
Please tell me they will think long and hard before giving this person a CWP. . . .
 
RyanEOD said:
Because the shooting took place during a concealed weapons permit class certified by SLED, the Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office will forward the investigation results to SLED for review.
Please tell me they will think long and hard before giving this person a CWP. . . .
Why? The instructor was the one doing the demonstration.
 

RyanEOD

Member
John Canuck said:
Why? The instructor was the one doing the demonstration.
I guess the believer in me makes me think the instructor was showing the right way and one of the students wasn't following the instructions. I know in my CWP class, they were very aware of safety at all times, but still if someone wasn't following instructions I could have been shot, and would have been pissed! ;)
 
RyanEOD said:
John Canuck said:
Why? The instructor was the one doing the demonstration.
I guess the believer in me makes me think the instructor was showing the right way and one of the students wasn't following the instructions. I know in my CWP class, they were very aware of safety at all times, but still if someone wasn't following instructions I could have been shot, and would have been pissed! ;)
How pissed would you be when shot by the instructor?

A woman in class to earn her concealed weapons permit was accidentally shot by a Spartanburg County Deputy teaching the course.
http://www2.wspa.com/news/2012/feb/18/a ... vi-120313/
 

RyanEOD

Member
John Canuck said:
How pissed would you be when shot by the instructor?
Holy crap, I thought it was another student that shot them . . . . WOW. Yeah, I would have been really pissed. She better get the class fee waived.
 

Dave29461

Active Member
Oh for video surveillance footage. All classes should be video taped. All guns should be pointed downrange. Without further info we don't know how or who needs to be re/trained. The only people who know for sure are the student and the instructor. Let's hope they do the right thing. Hope they had great ins.
 

Sniper1Moore

New Member
The instructor was showing one student how to hold the gun and shot another student through the arm and into her torso with a .22 pistol.I think the instructor should be stripped of his right to teach a class and remain a police officer till he recieves further (Much needed Training in the safe handling of firearms).Ken
 

russell97ta

New Member
Sniper1Moore said:
The instructor was showing one student how to hold the gun and shot another student through the arm and into her torso with a .22 pistol.I think the instructor should be stripped of his right to teach a class and remain a police officer till he recieves further (Much needed Training in the safe handling of firearms).Ken
I'd be very surprised if he isn't stripped of his SLED Certification.
 

Tigerstripe

Active Member
what about the greed factor? i think the news said there were more than 50 students on the firing line.
thats asking for an accident. should there be a limit?

i know that would be big brother sticking his nose in, but for safteys sake?
 
RyanEOD said:
John Canuck said:
How pissed would you be when shot by the instructor?
Holy crap, I thought it was another student that shot them . . . . WOW. Yeah, I would have been really pissed. She better get the class fee waived.
I was thinking more like I hope she gets a good lawyer. It's interesting how this was described as an "accident" rather than a negligent discharge, which we all know it was.

It looks like the poor lady that got shot was the wife of another deputy.

The wife of a Spartanburg County sheriff's deputy was shot Saturday during a concealed weapons permit class instructed by another deputy.
http://www.goupstate.com/article/201202 ... /120219701
 
Interesting enough I work with the sister of the lady who was shot. The news is reporting the instructor was showing the student the proper way to hold the pistol, but the lady that was shot said he was trying to help her with a jammed pistol. I wasn't present but I'm curious what actually happened. :?:
 

Gamer

New Member
Hopefully she will fully recover. I always hate to hear about mishaps with firearms, especially now considering the good I believe was happening in Spartanburg County. However, it does sound like a cardinal rule of firearms saftey was broken.
 
Investigation over. I hear they had Inspector Clouseau help out. The conclusion:
Deputies said an investigation showed that the student's weapon was not put in a safe condition prior to the instructor helping the student with the proper grip of the weapon.
http://www.wyff4.com/r/30491738/detail.html

I recall the first question on the test being something about all guns are loaded, not to point it at anything you don't want to shoot and keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. :?
 
Top