CCW .380 Auto Ammo

HHB Guns

What is some good carry ammo for the 380? +P or not. I'm currently carrying hornady critical defense 95gr but think I have heard you guys speak of better stuff out there.

mcdaniel

Buffalo Bore 380 JHP +P

Technically there is no +p SAMI spec, but this ammo is great in my 380s and cycles them awesomely. A little expensive, but I think you're worth it! (At least for carry.) Only place I know that stocks it is sportsman's in Cola, but you can mail order it easily enough.

HHB Guns

Dude your killing me. I went and bought it directly from buffalo bore for $24.12 a box and could have got it from midway for $21 plus midway has better shipping rates. Go figure. Anyway it ordered.

Pops

I have a little Kel-tec P3AT and I find that is feeds some .380 better than others.
As a point of interest it feeds regular Winchester Whitebox very consistantly.
I know that hollow points will do a better job, so I carry Speer Gold Dot (short barrel) hollow points.
I don't really know the balistics of them compared to the Buffalos, but if I get a round in somebody he's going to have to catch me before he'll get a chance to argue about it.

:lol:

Frost

I carry Corbon in mine.
I suppose I should take the time to do some chrono work with several different loads.

Maybe we could all donate a few rounds of different ammunition to be run through various .380 pistols and see what the results are.

HHB Guns

Frost said:
Maybe we could all donate a few rounds of different ammunition to be run through various .380 pistols and see what the results are.
I'm game I will give you some critical defense and buffalo bore when I get it. I also have 300 rounds of white box coming.

jmt2566

Frost said:
I have a couple of brands that I would be willing to donate and an LCP we can use as a test gun. Maybe we could have a list of the brands we are interested in so that we can identify anything that might be forgotten. I would be willing to buy a box or two if there is something not represented.

I think that this is a great idea! Maybe we could do it for all of the popular S.D. calibers. If we do it at Shootzenfest we could probably cover a lot of different firearms in each category. The info we get would be a good addition to the proposed "repository" section!

Jeff

I don't know much about testing stuff

but i'd be glad to offer any assistance I can from Columbia...I have a S&W bodyguard 380 along with a handful of different 380 rounds

Dave29461

I've got some Federal Hyro-shok and if you want some odd ones I can provide several .380 pistols : Iver Johnson Pony, PPH Hungarian, Savage 1907, FN 1910, FN 1922 .

P-1

Ohhhh boy. Lets have the ammo guy put in a box or two. I have 95 gr hp gold dot and hornady XTP that i currently make. I am up for showing you guys a good and accurate round for a 380.

Shooting fest will be busy, and i can not be there. I have a chrono if needed. Lets set up a date and add another caliber or two for testing. I can use the results as well.

Jeff

Frost

This just keeps getting better and better.
Maybe we could shoot some hollow points into wet pack too.

HHB Guns

How hard and expensive is it to make ballistic gel molds to shoot into? I have heard mixed reviews on how to do it.

P-1

We could use 2 liter bottles and shoot long ways and see if the bullet stays in the bottle and look at bullet deformation. Save your 2 liters and fill with water.

gators096

Henry, I have a an issue of "GUNTEST" that they put some 380 rounds through the ringer. The winner was one that most everyone would discount, a FMJ. Off the top of my head I am not sure of the bullet weight. I know that they put some critical (which i carry), speer gold dots (which i have as well) and corbon. The buffalo bore scored well too as it should for the money.