Best shotgun for home defense?

eht6183

New Member
What is the best shotgun, that is priced reasonably, and best for home defense? Might also be good for someone to try to learn to shoot clay pigeons too. I have heard the Mossberg 500 is a good one. Thanks.

Elaine
 

Dave29461

Active Member
The most economical are the Mossberg and the Remington 870. I have an 870 Wingmaster with the 20" barrel and removable chokes and a 28" vent rib barrel with removable chokes. It does double duty. I bought a police turn-in 870 for my daughter and put a spec-op recoil reducing stock on it so she can use it for both. She wants a .410 to try out. The .410 AR15 upper did cross my mind...but kept going. :D Check Gunbroker or Bud's Gunshop for good idea of what you can expect.
Side note: I have an SR9c with the laser that is my everyday carry gun. It is a great gun.
 

Shrapnel762

New Member
I would say a mossberg 500 or remington 870 in 12 or 20 gauge. You can find combo's with a long and short barrel.

The most important thing is what is the most comfortable for you. Different manufactures have variations like where safeties are, ect.

Then practice, practice, practice. For home defense you want to be able to manipulate the weapon in the dark and under stress.
 

Frost

Active Member
Remington 870.
The only thing about pump shotguns is you have to cycle the action with authority.
Not saying you have to slam them, I have some smooth as silk 870s but most problems are from people babying them.
 

mcdaniel

Member
I prefer the Moss 500 to the 870 for the safety design. I wouldn't personally buy one with a pistol grip though, its a bit of a stretch to release it and I prefer the standard stocked versions. Buy a regular old used Moss, shoot some clays with it and get used to it. You can always put a short barrel on it if that strikes your fancy.

You are going to get the 500 or 870 recommendations over and over on this question, at that point its preference.

My first gun was a Moss 500 and that is the reason I like the safety design, lots of use makes it second nature. In other words, whatever you buy, practice.
 
One thing to consider Elaine. A shotgun is a two handed weapon. When one considers a home defense scenario, they should consider the possibility that one hand might be busy with securing their children, or using a phone, or holding a flashlight, etc. Just something to think about.

I consider the Remington 870 as the standard when choosing a pump.
 

Enjay

New Member
In our house we have a Remington 870 (mine) and a Moss 88 (the husbeasts) They are both 12 ga. The Moss has an 18 1/2 inch home defense barrel and I believe the 870 does too but it has a piece of metal with holes drilled in it mounted over the barrel so I can't read it. They both take 2 3/4" or 3" shells but the Moss carries one less shell than the 870.

They both do the job, they both have affordable price points, and I don't know if ours have the fancier options with the different chokes and whatnot. I'm sure that they could be used for hunting without any problem, but that's not why we have them so we haven't investigated it.

My 870 is heavier because it has a wood stock. The Moss has a synthetic stock and the hubs also has a synthetic pistol configuration for it. My shoulder says the Moss kicks harder, I would imagine because the stock is significantly lighter, and the pistol configuration is much harder for me to control when firing and slides all over when stored in our gun cabinet. Or behind the fridge for that matter. There are ways around the storage issue but it's not important enough to us to bother with so it's kept in it's regular stock. I do believe that 870's also have synthetic stocks available if that's what you want, I favor wood stocks although I will concede that the synthetic stocks seem to handle a beating and water exposure better. The Moss has a green fiber optic type sight on it that I like, the 870 has a gold bead and a flashlight mounted under the barrel.

Other than what I've said it's pretty much six of one, half dozen of the other. My kids were working with the shotguns the other week and even the 8 year old didn't have a problem with the extra weight of the 870.
 
mcdaniel said:
I prefer the Moss 500 to the 870 for the safety design. I wouldn't personally buy one with a pistol grip though, its a bit of a stretch to release it and I prefer the standard stocked versions. Buy a regular old used Moss, shoot some clays with it and get used to it. You can always put a short barrel on it if that strikes your fancy.

You are going to get the 500 or 870 recommendations over and over on this question, at that point its preference.

My first gun was a Moss 500 and that is the reason I like the safety design, lots of use makes it second nature. In other words, whatever you buy, practice.

I agree wholeheartedly

The 870's are nice for what they are, but i can quickly and easily operate the safety on a mossberg without a 2nd thought and without releasing my grip on the gun hardly at all
 

mcdaniel

Member
tigerfan00 said:
mcdaniel said:
I prefer the Moss 500 to the 870 for the safety design. I wouldn't personally buy one with a pistol grip though, its a bit of a stretch to release it and I prefer the standard stocked versions. Buy a regular old used Moss, shoot some clays with it and get used to it. You can always put a short barrel on it if that strikes your fancy.

You are going to get the 500 or 870 recommendations over and over on this question, at that point its preference.

My first gun was a Moss 500 and that is the reason I like the safety design, lots of use makes it second nature. In other words, whatever you buy, practice.

I agree wholeheartedly

The 870's are nice for what they are, but i can quickly and easily operate the safety on a mossberg without a 2nd thought and without releasing my grip on the gun hardly at all
But in all fairness, You can't go wrong with either.
 

eht6183

New Member
Wow-thanks for all of the responses and info. From what I have read and the studying I have done, Mossberg and Remington were the ones that look like the best for my purposes. When I get the funds, I will try them both out and see which feels the best, handles the best and has the least recoil. Thanks again for taking the time to give your advice. Hope to meet some of you on Nov 5.
 

Dave29461

Active Member
This is the stock and forearm I put on my Daughter's 870. These are stock photos but it gives you a good idea. It reduced the felt recoil more than 50%. She also has some 2 inch buckshot that kicks even less and has a great pattern with her barrel.



 

Tigerstripe

Active Member
my, home defense shotgun , is a rem express mag sbs 12 or 14 inch bbl and all i allow it to fire is buckshot or slugs. any 12 ga shot shell rolling on the floor in a firefight will work although with the pistol grip i have not worked up the special anitomical parts it will take to try a 3.5 inch. ATF legal it is 25.25 inches with 14 inch bbl.
a couple of guys shot at philsons last sat.
 

Frost

Active Member
I have shot that particular shot gun at the last two events.
I really like that thing it rattles my fillings but it's a hoot to shoot.
It's got me wanting a short shotgun again...
 

shane361

New Member
mcdaniel said:
I prefer the Moss 500 to the 870 for the safety design. I wouldn't personally buy one with a pistol grip though, its a bit of a stretch to release it and I prefer the standard stocked versions. Buy a regular old used Moss, shoot some clays with it and get used to it. You can always put a short barrel on it if that strikes your fancy.

You are going to get the 500 or 870 recommendations over and over on this question, at that point its preference.

My first gun was a Moss 500 and that is the reason I like the safety design, lots of use makes it second nature. In other words, whatever you buy, practice.
This :D

I trained my ship with the M500 so I bought a Remington 870 Police Magnum cause it was different. I hate it...wish I had bought the M500. I hate where the safety is and I hate where the forearm release is. If I could do it again...well you get the idea. -Shane
 
John Canuck said:
One thing to consider Elaine. A shotgun is a two handed weapon. When one considers a home defense scenario, they should consider the possibility that one hand might be busy with securing their children, or using a phone, or holding a flashlight, etc. Just something to think about.

I consider the Remington 870 as the standard when choosing a pump.

Although I use rifles for Home Defense, my Remington 870 can be utilized with a one-hand-grip during moments of need.

 

Tigerstripe

Active Member
Frost,
i dont allow it to eat birdshot. what i take to the range is 2.75 00 buck. if that rattled your fillings, the 3 inch are bound to please. i have not tryed it yet with 3.5 inch yet. im skeered. a friend fired 2 3.5 buck with the stock on. i think he broke something.
David
i have a S&W airlite 357 thats no problem but the 44mag? it is a handfull. after 2 shots you start to feel it about 3 inches just behind the wrist.
i had to see the blown up ones on you tube to realise they are only for carry, not target fun.
 

Tigerstripe

Active Member
anytime.
ive been wondering if i should have choke tubes put in it.
the FBI 14 inch has a moderate choke barrel.
being cut mine is open cylinder
David
 
Top