A new (maybe not) way to keep your gun from rusting

Bob Ouellette

I carry my little KelTec P11 in the waist band of my shorts or in a pocket and for a while, I had a problem with the slide rusting and leaving big brown spots on my side. One day after cleaning it, I remembered a treatment I'd used on knives I made and I decided to give it a shot. Now, after cleaning my weapons, I coat all the parts that are prone to rust with a light wax. It's great for durability and keeping out moisture. I think almost any wax will do, but I like Renaissance Wax since it dries hard relatively quickly and doesn't change the look of the gun at all.

Enjay

I've been thinking about using wax on my guns but I'm concerned how it reacts when the weapon is fired as I'd rather not have a smoking, drippy mess to deal with. Have you shot your weapon since you started using wax on it?

Bob Ouellette

Yep, I can't speak for other waxes, but Renaissance wax doesn't smoke. I've also put it on hot metal with no smoke. It shouldn't drip if you don't use too much.

Enjay

In my case the weapon I was thinking of using it on was my shotgun. I guess I wouldn't think it would harm a holster, especially a leather one as they need soaping and oiling occasionally anyway.

fordnut

I use Car wax on my guns that are Nickel plated....my.44 Magnum is waxed after I take it to the range. I have never had any problems with melting...but, it doesn't go in a holster.

I have always used RemOli on my guns...My Browning Hi-power has never had anything on it but RemOil...I love the stuff.

Steve

Schultz

Enjay said:
In my case the weapon I was thinking of using it on was my shotgun. I guess I wouldn't think it would harm a holster, especially a leather one as they need soaping and oiling occasionally anyway.

The way I see it is the reason it's rusting is because he's not using a holster.

Bob Ouellette

Enjay said:
The way I see it is the reason it's rusting is because he's not using a holster.

:shock: I'm just trying to think of how I could conceal that.

I've got a little clip attached to the side of mine that hooks right onto my waistband, or I just stick it in my pocket. For me, it's a small enough gun that I don't worry about it. Half the time the butt of the handle and the side clip hang out of my back pocket, but I don't think anyone pays too much attention to my butt to notice :lol: It was definitely rusting because of being in direct contact with my skin.